Introduction and History
Allstat is a UK-based worldwide e-mail broadcast system for the statistical community, Allstat began as an initiative of David Kerridge in Aberdeen in the late 1980′s and then transferred to a national teaching project (CTI) in the Department of Statistics in the University of Glasgow. Ever since then, the CTI project and its successors (LTSN, HEA) in Glasgow had sponsored the list with a modest degree of funding for administration. With the withdrawal of HEA funding to subject centres, this arrangement ended in 2012.
The Royal Statistical Society Centre for Statistical Education (RSSCSE), based in Plymouth took responsibility for the list shortly after the close of the MSOR subject centre. However, the RSSCSE closed in 2014 and the Allstat list became the responsibility of the International Centre for Statistical Education (ICSE) based at Plymouth University.
The list is managed on a purely voluntary basis by the ICSE via support from Plymouth University on behalf of JISCMail, for this reason we rely on list subscribers to help maintain the list.
List Guidelines & Rules
Broadly speaking, any messages relevant to statistics are welcome, although bear in mind the many other statistical lists which exist.
Very briefly, the key points to remember are:
- use meaningful subject lines, with keywords (e.g. CONFERENCE, JOB, EVENT)
- send plain text only (no HTML, PostScript, Word or encoded files)
- send text in the body of your message; no attachments
- no commercial advertising (job notices and conference announcements are permitted)
- if seeking a reply, include your e-mail in the body of your message (or a text signature)
- if replying, reply to the sender and not to the list, Allstat is not a discussion board
- it is helpful to add a post date to the body of your message
If you need to get in touch with the list owner you can e-mail at email@example.com (clearly state ‘ALLSTAT’ in the subject line).
Allstat is hosted by JISCMail and as such in addition to the stated list guidelines you are expected to observer the JISCMail rules when using the list.